Skip to main content

The verdict

All options have been exhausted. I will have to pay $210-250 per month for my blood thinner medication (up from $41). There are no coupons, cheaper pharmacies, or co-pay programs. There is one blood thinner I haven't tried that is supposed to be as effective as enoxaparin and costs $50 (ironically, it's a more expensive medication so it qualifies for the specialty medication $50 co-pay). However, my hematologist doesn't want to "rock the boat" yet. I will touch base with him after my next oncology appointment in Pittsburgh. 

To be clear, we can afford this cost. But the price increase is infuriating, even more so because it's clear I'm not the only employee facing higher prescription costs. One way PSU will save $20 million with switching to Highmark is by passing on higher prescription costs to employees.

Yesterday I learned about a horrendous health insurance situation with a PSU student whose parents are professors (the dad is also in the College of Education, although we've never met). The ProPublica article is worth reading in its entirety. How does insurers make millions in profits? By denying coverage to people who need it.

Comments

  1. This is so disheartening! And infuriating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable! Highmark! Is nortorous for over charging people. I am sorry you are having to be stressed during this time of healing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthcare costs and insurance woes and victories

Those of you who have read this blog from the beginning may recall my posts about how inexpensive healthcare is in Germany compared to the US. I now have additional proof. I've been receiving "explanation of benefits" statements from Aetna detailing the cost of my hospital stays and other healthcare services since the end of July. Close your eyes and guess how much these amount to. Higher. No, higher. Still higher. Well over $200,000. Of that, I have paid maybe $100 plus some $20-30 co-pays for doctor's visits. Add to that my cancer and blood thinner medications, which would cost about $16,000 per month without insurance. I have no idea what people in my situation do if they are uninsured or under-insured. My recent interaction with one of my German doctors illustrates another stark difference. Before leaving Germany, I had asked my doctor what to do if I received bills from the LungenClinic after we had moved and closed our Deutsche Bank account (all bills in Germany...

Indolent nodules

We met with my oncologist (Dr. Villaruz) and radiation oncologist (Dr. McCall) at UPMC in Pittsburgh yesterday en route from visiting family in Grand Rapids, MI. The main nodule we were watching grew by another millimeter or so. Dr. Villaruz described it as “indolent.” I asked what that meant and as she started to say “growing very slowly,” I recognized the word and blurted out “lazy!” I remarked I’d never heard indolent used in a medical context, and Dr. Villaruz said she’d never heard of it outside of medicine. So we both learned something. She and Dr. McCall said that there is no urgency, but that within the next 9-12 months, they would want to radiate the more clearly defined nodule and another one close to it. A third one looks like “ground glass,” a term for something that is hazy and not quite solid, but you can’t radiate something that is ill-defined and can’t be clearly imaged. It will be much easier to do radiation in the summer than during a busy semester or the winter b...

A failure of institutional care

I just hit "send" on this letter to my dean and associate dean. Mic drop. I've never sent such a scathing letter, but it's definitely called for in this situation. I'm not expecting anything other than a "Oh, that wasn't how we intended to make you feel; our hands were tied" email. Dear Dean Lawless and Associate Dean Lloyd, When I wrote to Professor Land [my department head] to see if I could get a course release this fall due to having lung cancer plus complications from pulmonary embolism and COVID, I had no idea what I was in for. When faculty friends in other colleges have had health crises (ones that don’t warrant a full-semester medical leave), their department head or dean has simply said, “Don’t worry about teaching this semester. We’ll figure it out.” I figured the same would happen in my case. To be blunt, the way that my case was handled was a colossal failure of leadership. As my husband and I have shared my story with colleagues at PSU ...