Skip to main content

pulmonary function test results

It's time to report my bi-annual pulmonary function test results. Drum roll... I am continuing to improve, although my pulmonologist told me that I will plateau at some point. In addition to Tagrisso working its magic, I have to think that strength training and biking (including 2 short interval training [SIT] workouts/week) are a big contributing factor.

The percentage below indicates my result compared to the expected result for a woman my age.
FEV1 (forced expiratory volume) measures the air you exhale in 1 second.
May 2024: 98% (34% improvement since 10/22)
Nov. 2023: 95%
May 2023: 91%
Oct. 2022: 73%
TLC (total lung capacity) is the total volume of air in the lungs after inhaling as much as possible.
May 2024: 102% !! (48% improvement since 6/22)
Nov. 2023: 95%
May 2023: 83%
Oct. 2022: 72%
Jun. 2022: 69%
DLCO (diffusing capacity of lung for carbon monoxide, aka diffusion) is the extent to which oxygen passes from the lungs into the blood. It indicates the extent of lung damage. I have improved 110% since June 2022, when I was first diagnosed with lung cancer. Although 86% is within normal range, I believe this figure explains why I still need supplemental O2 when doing more strenuous exercises, like heavier lifts or those awful Bulgarian/rear-foot elevated split squats.
May 2024: 86%
Nov. 2023: 82%
May 2023: 68%
Oct. 2022: 49%
Jun. 2022: 41%

FYI, for comparison, Normal DLCO = >75% of predicted; Mild = 60% to 75%; Moderate = 40% to 60%; and Severe = <40%. So I started out borderline severe, graduated to moderate, then mild, and now normal since Nov. 2023.
Together, these results explain why I can now walk uphill from downtown and not feel out of breath.
I've now graduated to lung testing every 8-9 months. For once, I'm an outlier because of how much I've improved rather than all the things that have gone wrong.

Comments

  1. This is such great news Esther. I can't help but think that your very hard physical work to recover plays a huge role in those great numbers. You have much to be proud of. You're a warrior!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo Ester ! You have taken huge leaps and conquered !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Still working on the conquering part...

      Delete
  3. Awesome news, Esther! You are rocking this! And thanks for explaining all the acronyms — I need this all the time with medical data!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have them written down because I can never remember what they mean.

      Delete
  4. Hooray! So glad to hear this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're everyone's role model and your recovery is inspiring. Probably helps that you've been pretty much a lifelong fitness fanatic, and that your family, for that matter, similarly spends fewer than 10 hours/day in front of a television

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. You're right about lifelong fitness...but you underestimate how much TV we watch. :) Leland and I watch 1-1.5 hours together every evening and Lily often joins us when not at vball. Plus Leland often watches stuff on his own. He often quotes The Simpsons: "TV gives so much and asks so little."

      Delete
  6. Great news, Esther! Very encouraging and motivational! My mother has lung problem and she is doing the physical training too. I know the oxygen level, it's good to learn other terms that you described and that the physical training is really helpful! Bo

    ReplyDelete
  7. All fantastic news Esther! God is good. You will continue to be healed! Keep moving forward & looking to the heavens for your help. Your help comes from the Lord. 🙏🏽

    ReplyDelete
  8. This report makes my heart sing! You've certainly done your part to make this report happen. You are a good role model for me, should I face a similar situation. Lois C

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! Thanking & praising God for this tremendous improvement, Esther!! Those stats show your dramatic progress. Celebrating with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on being an 'outlier' in the other direction!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthcare costs and insurance woes and victories

Those of you who have read this blog from the beginning may recall my posts about how inexpensive healthcare is in Germany compared to the US. I now have additional proof. I've been receiving "explanation of benefits" statements from Aetna detailing the cost of my hospital stays and other healthcare services since the end of July. Close your eyes and guess how much these amount to. Higher. No, higher. Still higher. Well over $200,000. Of that, I have paid maybe $100 plus some $20-30 co-pays for doctor's visits. Add to that my cancer and blood thinner medications, which would cost about $16,000 per month without insurance. I have no idea what people in my situation do if they are uninsured or under-insured. My recent interaction with one of my German doctors illustrates another stark difference. Before leaving Germany, I had asked my doctor what to do if I received bills from the LungenClinic after we had moved and closed our Deutsche Bank account (all bills in Germany...

Indolent nodules

We met with my oncologist (Dr. Villaruz) and radiation oncologist (Dr. McCall) at UPMC in Pittsburgh yesterday en route from visiting family in Grand Rapids, MI. The main nodule we were watching grew by another millimeter or so. Dr. Villaruz described it as “indolent.” I asked what that meant and as she started to say “growing very slowly,” I recognized the word and blurted out “lazy!” I remarked I’d never heard indolent used in a medical context, and Dr. Villaruz said she’d never heard of it outside of medicine. So we both learned something. She and Dr. McCall said that there is no urgency, but that within the next 9-12 months, they would want to radiate the more clearly defined nodule and another one close to it. A third one looks like “ground glass,” a term for something that is hazy and not quite solid, but you can’t radiate something that is ill-defined and can’t be clearly imaged. It will be much easier to do radiation in the summer than during a busy semester or the winter b...

Four years

Sunday, June 14 marked 4 years since I was diagnosed with lung cancer while living in Hamburg. Those of you who have followed my journey from the start know that my family and I went to hell and back several times during those first six months. Here I am before, during, and after. The photo below was the last taken before my life unraveled. I went on a photography outing with the American Women's Club of Hamburg. When my doctor said my x-ray showed "infiltration" and I should get a CT scan, I put it off for a day so I wouldn't miss this event. That's how unconcerned I was. The possibility of cancer never crossed my mind, despite my severe shortness of breath. This was my hospital room at the LungenClinic, where I learned my shocking diagnosis. I was sitting at the little table with the doctors and Leland was on Zoom. Leland had to travel to the hospital by train (an hour-plus trip) before we could process the news together, shellshocked. This photo shows me in the...